In values-based patient-centered care, an individual’s specific values, health needs, and desired health outcomes are the driving force behind all health care decisions. Patients are partners with their healthcare team and through active collaboration and shared decision-making, patients, families, and healthcare providers design and manage a comprehensive care plan. This course will introduce participants to the key concepts of values-based patient-centered care, including what are values, why it matters, and how increasing their values-based patient-centered care competencies it can yield positive outcomes for themselves, their teams, and their patients.
- Define what values are and why they are important.
- Understand their own values.
- Articulate how values can differ and how this relates to patient care.
- Understand the tenets of values-based patient-centered care.
- Define patient-centered communication.
- Understand shared decision-making and its relationship to values-based patient-centered care.