Emotional Intelligence for Healthcare Team Members
Healthcare is most often a team effort, yet much team dysfunction continues to exist. Evidence for this can be found in many clinical settings. Emotional Intelligence (EI) is becoming a known quantity that is imperative for individual and group function. It accounts for a significant portion of what moves good leadership to greatness. Despite the growing literature around this topic, individual knowledge is often superficial with a significant focus on the self-awareness component rather than self-management, social awareness, and relationship management components. This session will explore emotional intelligence in healthcare teams and identifying the dimensions of Group Emotional Competence, reflecting on how to develop each to improve team productivity.
Course Learning Objectives
- Discuss foundational concepts around emotional intelligence and its application to teams (e.g., self-awareness, other-awareness, self-management & relationship management).
- Identify aspects of emotional intelligence that contribute to successful teams.
- Investigate and potentially apply the concept of group emotional intelligence through readings and reflection.
- Dissect real cases of healthcare teams to diagnose emotional intelligence issues for both individual team members as well as the group as a whole.
- Create a plan for improving group or team emotional intelligence that includes a step-by-step outline.
Directions: Select one of the available sessions listed below. The link will take you to the Canvas platform, where you may register for the course.
Please note that registration is currently limited to Tampa General Hospital team members.
- Emotional Intelligence for Healthcare Team Members - Wednesday 1/12/22 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Emotional Intelligence for Healthcare Team Members - Wednesday 4/13/22 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Emotional Intelligence for Healthcare Team Members - Wednesday 8/24/22 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Emotional Intelligence for Healthcare Team Members - Wednesday 11/2/22 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM